Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Creating Sacred Space

As I sit to write this, I find my mind wandering to all of the other tasks and issues that threaten to overwhelm me at the beginning of the church program year. While I have found it helpful to write about Healthy Christian Practices over the last three months, those blog installments have not addressed a significant challenge that we all face (One that is particularly difficult at this time of year): How do we find the time to do the things we really want to do? For that matter, how do we even find the time to think about, much less decide on, the things we really want to do?

The range of choices that we as individuals and families have these days is truly dizzying. I remember many years ago reading a case study in one of (therapist and author) Rollo May’s books about a woman who was depressed. Her healing came when she realized that she wasn’t required to take advantage of every opportunity that was available to her. While the process of making those choices might be difficult, the result for her was a more manageable and less anxious life.

Life has not grown any simpler since then. In fact, we now have many more choices than ever before. So the question about how to find time has become even more difficult to answer.

I would like to believe that we always choose to do those things that we truly want to do… Oh well, that was a nice thought. I find that making choices these days is like living in the middle of a carnival where we are surrounded by barkers who all insist that we try their game or ride. If we have children in tow, the choices are even more difficult because the barkers immediately aim their pitch at the spontaneity (ok, at the impulsiveness) of the young.

So, is it selfish to ask ourselves what we really want? Is it unchristian even to have individual desires? These are important questions because I think that our health depends on our ability to make some self-caring choices. My first concern involves how we find the space, time, and quiet thoughtfulness that I believe are necessary for us to make good choices.

One way to think about the dilemma is by redefining the problem. We often say, (and I have written above) that we need to “find” time, as if time is lying around just waiting to be found. The task becomes more possible if we consider “making” time instead. In a way, I am referring to sacred space and time. Sacred space and time is set aside, identified, and marked off by a clear boundary. This kind of time is in the same spirit as the Day of Rest in the creation story in Genesis. It is special time, when we have a chance to catch up with ourselves, when we can pay attention to those areas in our lives that are empty or out of balance. It is time when we can consider how we might address those needs.

Now, before you say, “I know where he’s going with this,” let me tell you that I’m not going there. I am not going to be just one more carnival barker trying to get you to “spend your time” here in church instead of anywhere else.

I want you to think about how you will address your own need for time, space, peace, reflection, and rest. If you think that the church can assist in this creation of space, then I want to hear about it. If the church is coming across like a carnival barker, then I want to know that, too. Ultimately, I want the church to be supportive in appropriate ways, and I do not want it simply to add to the complexity of decisions that people must make.

Finally, how does one “make time?” The first answer is to breathe. It’s amazing how much sacred space just one conscious breath can create. The second answer is from The Ten Commandments: “Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.” Sabbath times require a conscious decision to set them apart from the normal busyness of life. The only way Sabbath time happens by accident is when we are wounded so badly that we must step out of normal time while we heal. Clearly, that’s a very expensive way to have Sabbath time. Conscious decision is much cheaper (and less painful).

What do you think?

Wayne Gustafson
“No matter who you are or where you are in life’s journey, you’re welcome here.”
The United Church__of Christ

No comments: