Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Testimony – Talking the Walk

In this installment, I continue my reflections on the traditional Christian Practices that Diana Butler Bass has articulated in her book, Christianity for the Rest of Us. “Testimony” (today’s topic) is a word that strikes terror in many liberal hearts. It’s almost as troublesome a concept for us as “Evangelism” is. Bass notes (and I concur) that one of the main reasons for our discomfort is that many of us have rejected the kind of testimony that we have experienced or seen in so many conservative churches. In that context, testimony is kind of a public display of one’s spiritual credentials – that which serves to validate our “membership in the Body of Christ.”

Testimony, in its more liberal/progressive application, is like telling one’s story. The purpose is not to demonstrate that one has the right experiences in order to belong. Rather, the activity demonstrates how diverse our human stories are, and how much room there is in a community of faith to contain and celebrate that diversity. Bass indicates that testimony is the telling of personal stories – stories about “finding meaning, finding our unique selves, and finding God in a confusing and chaotic world.”

In my upbringing, I learned that my story of faith was supposed to conform to the stories of others, that I was supposed to use the proper language to describe the experience, and that I was supposed to be able to demonstrate concrete behavioral changes to validate my story. I don’t remember anyone telling me those rules in so many words, but that’s what I picked up.

I suspect that many people who are now in liberal/progressive congregations may have come to similar conclusions. I also suspect that there are many who stay away from participation in any congregation because they believe that all Christian churches require that uncomfortable form of testimony.

A shared truth among many people in our congregations is that they want to have a safe place to tell their stories. One of the saddest statements I hear from time to time goes something like this: “If people knew what I really believed, they wouldn’t accept my anymore.” When people do tell their stories, particularly in a liberal/progressive congregation, the response very often is more like: “What an interesting story. I have some similar questions and experiences.”

The worst thing we can do is to make our perfectly valid stories into secrets. When that happens, then some arbitrary orthodox pronouncement becomes the litmus test of faith. Practically everyone would fail such a test. Fortunately, we don’t use a test of orthodoxy. Rather we respect and learn from one another’s honest questions and journeys. There are many great questions to be asked and moving stories to be told! And heard!

So, what’s your story?

Wayne Gustafson
“No matter who you are, or where you are in life’s journey, you’re welcome here.”
The United Church__of Christ

No comments: