Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Church and Spiritual Growth

I think a church (not the building, but the people) should be like an organic garden. It should provide the light of understanding, the nourishment of rich community soil, and it should provide the water of relationship and spirit that keeps the life flowing and the fruits growing. Where the metaphor breaks down is around the question of the nature of the fruits. A church is not filled with “plants” that must produce only one kind of fruit. As I wrote recently, the growth in a church is more like an experiment that assesses what is happening rather than a test to assess whether things are happening correctly.

I also think the church must be very creative in how it makes its resources available. Traditionally, the church was seen as a storehouse of resources and people had to come, usually on Sunday morning, in order to access those fruits. There were a few ancillary resources that people could generate on their own, like reading the Bible, prayer, and reading other recommended religious material, but attending the church was essential.

I must confess, as a minister I sometimes fall into the temptation to ask: “Why don’t people come to the church more?” But I realize that the pressing question facing the church today is more like, “How can we make our resources more readily available, and how can we encourage people to make use of them?”

If I didn’t believe that the church had something valuable to offer, I guess I wouldn’t bother to be a minister in one. But I do believe that Healthy Liberal Christianity has something very valuable to offer. So, I will continue to struggle with the second question. Hopefully, I won’t have to struggle alone. Hopefully, you will be willing to share your perspectives. I hope you will comment on the value (positive or negative) of the resources churches like this one have to offer. Hopefully, we can continue to co-create a spiritually nourishing community.

My fear about the effects of the present culture, at least in this country, is that there is so much pressure for people to use their financial resources to fill their lives with superficial activity and noise. I am all in favor of play, but I fear that many of today’s increasingly expensive “toys” actually inhibit play, imagination, relationship, and community. I think that we have to do better than that if we are to survive. And I believe that Healthy Liberal Christianity has much to offer (even if not in a church building, and even if not on Sunday Morning).

What do you think?

Wayne Gustafson
“No matter who you are or where you are in life’s journey, you’re welcome here.”
The United Church__of Christ

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog itself is a way for people using it to "be church," to interact in community, to learn, grow, and share in Christlike ways. Thank you for offering it! Computers and the internet are hugely powerful tools and can be great assets if we use them thoughtfully. My thoughts run to, "Who's in? - able to access and participate - and Who's out?" "Who wants to be in or out?" Too often I have seen a tendency (in myself as well as others) to see how we are excluded rather than looking for ways to participate, asking for access to particular activities or processes. I will encourage others to participate here and talk about what I read and write here with those who can't or don't feel comfortable participating. I think I will also try some relatively short posts as that might increase accessibility for some.

Wayne E. Gustafson, D.Min. said...

Thanks Suzanne,
A blog is a living thing that depends on readers, writers, and the experience of all its participants. Let's keep sharing.